How can we help you?
We love patients who ask questions because it shows a certain commitment to doing everything possible to maintain a healthy smile.
At Atlantis Dental Care, we believe that you have every right to ask questions and expect answers that help you make informed choices about dental treatments. That is why we encourage you to talk to us about any area of dental care that concerns you.
We've shared a few of the questions that we hear most frequently. But oral health is a very personal thing, and you probably have your own questions that aren't listed here.
Contact our office for more information
Please don't ever hesitate to contact our Boise dental office for more information – the only silly question is the one that goes unasked!
Dental implants at our Boise, ID dental office are a safe and fantastic treatment option that gives you the longest-lasting tooth replacement available in dentistry today.
There are three areas to look at when we talk about the safety of dental implants: Planning, Surgery, and Maintenance.
Proper planning is the key to the long-term success of your dental implant. The implant must be placed in such a way that it avoids nerves, arteries, sinuses, and other structures, and is placed in the ideal location to support the implant. We use 3-D cone beam imaging to plan the precise placement of your implant before we even begin surgery. Dr. Cantwell uses the customized surgical guide to ensure that your implant is placed correctly. This process is called "Fully Guided Surgery."
The safety of implant surgery is also enhanced by planning placement beforehand. Since there's no guesswork in placing the implant in the optimal position, the length of surgery decrease, and faster surgery means fewer complications and a smoother recovery.
The key to the longevity of your dental implant is excellent oral hygiene habits at home paired with semi-annual preventive exams and dental cleanings at our Boise, ID dental office. By investing in technology that allows Dr. Cantwell to perform Fully Guided Surgery, the safety of placing implants has increased, and complications have decreased.
Contact Atlantis Dental today to learn more about how our state-of-the-art dental implant placement can benefit you.
It’s no secret that dental anxiety is a problem for millions of people. Anxiety triggers can be the sights and sounds of a dental office or a fear of injections. For most people, however, it’s the fear of dental pain that is the biggest obstacle to overcome.
So it makes sense that facing a procedure like dental implant placement can be overwhelming. Dr. Cantwell and our team want you to know that we’re sympathetic to your feelings here at Atlantis Dental Care. Our goal is to show you that even a more complex dental procedure is nothing to be afraid of when you are surrounded by a team of professionals whose focus is on you and your comfort.
Having a dental implant placed is no more uncomfortable than having a tooth extracted. In fact, many of our patients are surprised that the procedure was pretty uneventful. Our gentle approach, combined with the use of effective sedation techniques, ensures that you will remain comfortable at all times.
What separates Dr. Cantwell from the rest?
Dr. Cantwell has been providing high-quality dental care to patients in Boise for over ten years and has a reputation for being a kind and considerate professional. We also help improve your experience by staying up to date with advances in dental technology and techniques that streamline your treatment.
Please contact our Boise dental office at (208) 938-2468 to arrange an appointment with Dr. Cantwell so he can explain the implant placement process and how we keep you comfortable.
Both dental bridges and dental implants are appropriate long-term solutions for missing teeth. The advantage of a dental bridge is that we can complete the process, from planning to placement, in as little as two weeks. But in most cases, that's where the advantages end. For the vast majority of patients, dental implants are the clear winner. Here is why:
Benefits of dental implants
- Implants stand alone, so they don’t affect the teeth surrounding them negatively. A bridge requires shaving down and placing crowns on the teeth on either side of the open space. If one part of a bridge fails, we must replace the entire unit. If you something goes wrong your implant, the problem stays with that tooth.
- Implants floss and brush like a tooth. To floss a dental bridge, you need to use floss threaders. This isn't a difficult process, but it does require patience. It's easy to skimp on this step, which puts you at increased risk for decay and gum disease.
- The average lifespan for a dental bridge is 7 to 10 years. If you commit to excellent oral health, your dental implant could last a lifetime.
- Dental implants prevent bone loss. The moment you lose a tooth, the jaw bone around the site starts deteriorating, and you continue to lose as much as 8 to 10 percent of bone every year after that. An implant placed in the site reduces that amount to almost zero, preserving a healthy, strong jaw.
Schedule an implant consultation
Please call our Boise, ID dental office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Cantwell. He will be happy to help you decide if a dental implant or bridge is right for you.
There are numerous benefits to choosing dental implants over other to replace missing teeth in Boise, ID. Dental implants are unique because Dr. Cantwell places a small titanium post in your jaw, and when it heals in place, it acts just as the natural tooth root did. We then attach a dental restoration—crown, bridge, or denture—to the implant, which is the part of the implant you see when you smile.
Benefits of dental implants
- Dental implants are individual units. They aren’t attached to the teeth surrounding them. A dental bridge is anchored to the teeth on either side of the space, so if one part of a bridge fails, we must replace the entire unit.
- Dental implants floss and brush like a tooth. Bridges need to have floss threaded under them for cleaning. Failing to do this results in decay, which is the number one reason for bridge loss.
- Dental implants can last a lifetime. The average lifespan of a dental bridge is 7 to 10 years. An implant lasts much longer, possibly a lifetime with proper care.
- Dental implants help prevent bone loss. The moment you lose a tooth, the jawbone around the site starts deteriorating by about 8-10% a year. An implant placed in the site reduces that amount to almost zero, preserving a healthy, strong jaw
- Dental Implants are strong. They can support normal chewing loads, just like a natural tooth.
Learn more about implants
Dr. Cantwell would be happy to meet with you to explain dental implants in greater detail. Please contact our Boise, ID dental office to get started!
Choosing to get a dental implant is a big decision. After years of helping our patients understand the benefits of dental implants in Boise, we have some tips to pass along that should help make your decision a little easier.
What are the advantages?
Dental implants are the preferred method for tooth replacement by dentists because they offer many advantages:
- You can replace a tooth without damaging healthy adjacent teeth. Altering the structure of healthy teeth is never a good idea, and a dental restoration placed on the tooth will eventually need to be replaced.
- When you replace a missing tooth with a bridge, you've created a three-tooth solution for a one-tooth problem. If any of the three teeth are damaged, you will have to replace the entire bridge.
- You can floss around a dental implant, but a bridge is designed as one unit, so flossing involves getting in and around the dental work with the aid of floss threaders.
- The implant that's placed in your jaw won't get a cavity and should last a lifetime with proper care. Dental bridges, on the other hand, often fail because of a cavity on one of the anchor teeth.
Schedule an implant consultation
If you would like more information and help in deciding if getting a dental implant in Boise, ID is the right step for you, pleases contact Atlantis Dental and request an appointment with Dr. Cantwell.