Boise ID Dental Implants
At Atlantis Dental Care, your Boise, ID dentist, we are committed to helping you keep and maintain a healthy smile for as long as possible. But problems can occur, and sometimes a tooth is lost because of damage, decay, or trauma.
If you’ve ever had a missing tooth, you know it can have a dramatic impact on your life. Missing teeth make it difficult to speak and chew properly, not to mention the effect it can have on your confidence as you try to hide your smile from others.
Fortunately, Atlantis Dental Care offers dental implants for Boise, ID area patients, and they are an effective, permanent solution for adults who have been dealing with the problem of tooth loss.
- What is a dental implant?
- Do dental implants hurt?
- How long does it take to get a dental implant?
- How do I know if dental implants are right for me?
- What makes dental implants better than other tooth replacement options?
- Will I have any food restrictions with dental implants?
- What are the benefits of dental implants?
- How much do dental implants cost?
- How long do dental implants last?
- Why choose Dr. Cantwell for dental implants?
- How can I find out more about dental implants in Boise, ID?
What is a dental implant?
Dental implants are an excellent method for restoring both your ability to chew and the appearance of your natural smile. You may think of dental implants as a recent innovation, but the truth is that dental implants have been used successfully for decades.
A dental implant replaces the root of a missing tooth with a titanium post in a similar size and length of a tooth root. After we surgically place the implant into the jawbone, we allow it to heal for several months until it fuses to the bone. This creates a solid foundation in your gum and jawbone that serves as an anchor for a crown, bridge, or denture.
Do dental implants hurt?
Nobody wants to experience dental pain, but we don’t want your dental fear to keep you from getting the treatments you need.
A procedure like having a dental implant placed can be particularly overwhelming to the fearful patient. We’re sympathetic to your feelings, and the team at Atlantis Dental Care would like to assure you that having a dental implant placed at our Boise, ID dentist office is no more uncomfortable than having a tooth extracted. In fact, many of our patients are surprised that the procedure was pretty uneventful. Our gentle approach, combined with the use of effective sedation techniques, ensures that you will remain comfortable at all times.
How long does it take to get a dental implant?
Only about 30 minutes—but there is a bit that goes into it ahead of time. It takes a lot of planning and preparation to achieve an implant-supported tooth that can last a lifetime. That takes on average three appointments:
- A 3D x-ray, and a 3D scan of your mouth. This takes about 20 minutes. These two pieces of information allow the dentist to plant the exact location where the implant needs to be placed to support a crown for proper chewing and aesthetics and safety (avoiding nerves, blood vessels, and other important anatomy).
- The dentist will 3D print a guide that will pop over your teeth like a mouthguard and guide the placement of the implant in the precise planned angle and depth. The placement of the dental implant will normally take a little local anesthesia—just like a dental filling. Despite all the preplanning, the surgery normally takes about 20 minutes. And recovery is easy. In most cases patients require only Ibuprofen for pain management.
- After allowing the bone around the implant to fuse to the implant and become strong (usually around 3 months) a tooth is made that screws down on top of the implant. This process is quick, done is as little as a day.
How do I know if dental implants are right for me?
Deciding to have a dental implant can be stressful. There are multiple factors that need to be considered and putting them all together can make the decision seem so complex that you throw up your arms and make no decision at all. After years of helping patients at our Boise, ID dental practice make the decision about dental implants, we are always happy to talk about the pros and cons.
What makes dental implants better than other tooth replacement options?
Dental implants hold a giant lead over other treatments. This is not an overstatement. Let's name a few of the advantages of dental implants:
- You can replace a tooth without damaging the adjacent teeth. This is extremely important when you realize that all dental work will someday wear out and need to be replaced. Cutting into a tooth that does not need it damages a tooth and creates a dental restoration that we will eventually need to replace.
- When you replace a tooth with a bridge, the fate of three teeth are hooked together. The tooth that was missing and the teeth on either side of it that are all three splinted together. If you damage or get decay in any of the three, you will have to replace all three, as they are made as one unit.
- You can floss an implant. A bridge is one unit. Floss must be threaded underneath each time. It's such a pain that not many people consistently do it.
- The implant cannot decay. Titanium never gets a cavity. On the other hand, the number one reason bridges fail is due to cavities.
While every treatment choice (or non-choice) has its consequences, dental implants are almost always the best option.
Will I have any food restrictions with dental implants?
You can eat all of your favorite foods when you have dental implants—without restriction. Having a dental implant is hands-down the tooth replacement that most closely resembles your natural teeth. You can bite into an apple or chew a piece of steak without worry.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
In the past, we didn’t have a lot of choices when it came to tooth replacement. Removable dentures and fixed bridges were the most common solution, but they came with their own set of problems.
Now we have the option of choosing dental implants that eliminate a lot of those problems. There are a number of reasons to consider dental implants at Atlantis Dental Care:
- An implant can replace a single tooth or multiple teeth, or it can act as an anchor to secure a bridge or denture.
- The implant and restoration are completely secure
- Implant-retained dentures eliminate the embarrassing worry about movement and slipping and allow you to follow a proper diet and enjoy all your favorite foods with confidence.
- The implant’s artificial root stimulates growth of the bone around it, which helps to hold existing teeth in place and prevent further bone loss.
We create our restorations right here at our Boise dental office using state-of-the-art CEREC technology and 3D printed surgical guides. CEREC restorations are beautiful and durable, and we can complete that portion of the process in just one visit.
How much do dental implants cost?
The cost varies from patient to patient, depending on different factors, including the number of dental implants needed and whether you will need a gum graft or other procedure before getting the implants. But it’s crucial to remember that although dental implants are a considerable financial investment, you will not need to spend money down the road having adjustments made as you would with dentures.
There are also benefits to dental implants that are priceless to our Boise, ID patients, including preservation of bone health and providing the ability to chew and speak naturally.
How long do dental implants last?
If you care for your dental implants properly—including good home oral care and regular visits to the dentist for examinations and cleanings—they can last a lifetime.
Why choose Dr. Cantwell for dental implants?
Boise, ID dentist Dr. Cantwell is truly an expert in the field of dental implants and restorative dentistry. He is one of only two dentists in Idaho to graduate from the prestigious Pankey Institute for Advanced Restorative Dentistry. He completed the Misch Surgical Residency for Implants and Advanced Bone Grafting and is certified as a Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists.
How can I find out more about dental implants in Boise, ID?
Our experienced team would love to talk to you about dental implants or other tooth replacement options. Just give us a call to make an appointment!
Your comfort is important to us, and we’ll do everything we can to ensure a positive experience. Dr. Cantwell will take time to fully explain the procedure and answer any questions you may have. If you’re a little nervous about your procedure, let us know. We offer sedation options so you can relax and get the care you need.
Are missing teeth causing you discomfort, impacting your social life, or holding you back in social or business situations? Dental implants not only restore your smile and self-confidence, they improve your overall oral health. Call Atlantis Dental Care and schedule an evaluation with Dr. Dave Cantwell.