Dental Implants in Boise, ID
At Atlantis Dental Care, your Boise, ID dentist, we are committed to helping you keep and maintain a healthy smile for as long as possible. But problems can occur, and sometimes a tooth is lost because of damage, decay, or trauma.
If you’ve ever had a missing tooth, you know it can have a dramatic impact on your life. Missing teeth make it difficult to speak and chew properly, not to mention the effect they can have on your confidence as you try to hide your smile from others.
Fortunately, Atlantis Dental Care offers dental implants for Boise, ID area patients, and they are an effective, permanent solution for adults who have been dealing with the problem of tooth loss.
- What is a dental implant?
- Do dental implants hurt?
- How long does it take to get a dental implant?
- How do I know if dental implants are right for me?
- What makes dental implants better than other tooth replacement options?
- Will I have any food restrictions with dental implants?
- What are the benefits of dental implants?
- How much do dental implants cost?
- How long do dental implants last?
- Why choose Dr. Cantwell for dental implants?
- How can I find out more about dental implants in Boise, ID?
What is a dental implant?
Dental implants are an excellent method for restoring both your ability to chew and the appearance of your natural smile. You may think of dental implants as a recent innovation, but the truth is that dental implants have been used successfully for decades.
A dental implant replaces the root of a missing tooth with a titanium post in a similar size and length of a tooth root. After we surgically place the implant into the jawbone, we allow it to heal for several months until it fuses to the bone. This creates a solid foundation in your gum and jawbone that serves as an anchor for a crown, bridge, or denture.
Do dental implants hurt?
Nobody wants to experience dental pain, but we don’t want your dental fear to keep you from getting the treatments you need.
A procedure like having a dental implant placed can be particularly overwhelming to the fearful patient. We’re sympathetic to your feelings, and the team at Atlantis Dental Care would like to assure you that having a dental implant placed at our Boise, ID dentist office is no more uncomfortable than having a tooth extracted. In fact, many of our patients are surprised that the procedure was pretty uneventful. Our gentle approach, combined with the use of effective sedation techniques, ensures that you will remain comfortable at all times.
How long does it take to get a dental implant?
Placing your dental implant in your jaw takes only about 30 minutes, but there's some planning that we need to do before your surgery to ensure that we place your implant in the optimal location for the best outcomes.
- First, Dr. Cantwell takes 3-D x-rays and 3D video images of your mouth. The details provided by both these images allow him to place the dental implant in the location that provides optimal support for your new tooth. With 3-D digital dentistry, Dr. Cantwell can also see anatomical structures around the area he's placing the implant, including nerve pathways and sinuses; making the procedure very safe.
- The dentist will 3-D print a guide that fits over your teeth like a mouthguard and guides the placement of the implant in the precise planned angle and depth. The implant placement procedure is performed under local anesthesia, nitrous oxide or sedation, for your comfort. The surgery itself takes about 30 minutes, and recovery is usually uneventful. Most patients manage any discomfort by using over-the-counter pain medications like ibuprofen or Advil.
- We allow the dental implant to heal in your jaw, and this process can take anywhere from three to six months. After the implant heals, a piece called an abutment is attached to it, and a beautiful, natural-looking crown is attached to it.
How do I know if dental implants are right for me?
When deciding if dental implants are the most appropriate solution for you, we need to consider multiple factors. But that shouldn't discourage you, because we're the experts, and we'll help it all make sense to you. Dr. Dave Cantwell has significant experience in placing dental implants at our Boise, ID practice. He will explain the pros and cons of getting dental implants, answer your questions, and explain your options. We'll be here for you every step of the way!
What makes dental implants better than other tooth replacement options?
- A dental implant is a standalone tooth replacement, which means it doesn't rely on the support of neighboring teeth as a dental bridge does.
- Placing a dental bridge is a three-tooth solution for a one-tooth problem. Not only do we need to remove some structure from the anchor teeth, but we also need to replace the entire unit if you get a cavity.
- Unlike a bridge that requires special floss threaders, it's easy to floss around a dental implant. This means more thorough oral hygiene and a healthier smile in the long term.
- Dental implants are like having a permanent, natural tooth again.
While every treatment choice (or non-choice) has its consequences, dental implants are the option most preferred by dentists.
Will I have any food restrictions with dental implants?
You can eat all of your favorite foods when you have dental implants—without restriction. A dental implant has an artificial tooth root just as your natural tooth did. This gives it the same stability as a natural tooth, and you can continue to eat your favorite foods. Just remember, though, that you can still chip or crack the implant crown by biting down too hard on a popcorn kernel or peach pit.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
In the past, we didn’t have a lot of choices when it came to tooth replacement. Removable dentures and fixed bridges were the most common solution, but they came with their own set of problems.
Now we have the option of choosing dental implants that eliminate a lot of those problems. There are a number of reasons to consider dental implants at Atlantis Dental Care:
- An implant can replace a single tooth or multiple teeth.
- Multiple implants can be used to anchor a bridge or denture.
- With the implant acting as support, your restoration is completely secure.
- Implant-retained dentures eliminate the embarrassing worry about movement and slipping and allow you to follow a proper diet and enjoy all your favorite foods with confidence.
- The implant’s artificial root stimulates the growth of the bone around it, which helps to hold existing teeth in place and prevent further bone loss.
We create our restorations right here at our Boise dental office using state-of-the-art CEREC technology and 3-D printed surgical guides. CEREC restorations are beautiful and durable, and we can create them here at our office on just one visit.
How much do dental implants cost?
The cost varies from patient to patient, depending on different factors, including the number of dental implants needed and whether you will need a gum graft or other procedure before getting the implants. But it’s crucial to remember that although dental implants are a considerable financial investment, you will not need to spend money down the road having adjustments made as you would with dentures.
There are also benefits to dental implants that are priceless to our Boise, ID patients, including preservation of bone health and providing the ability to chew and speak naturally.
How long do dental implants last?
If you care for your dental implants properly—including good home oral care and regular visits to the dentist for examinations and cleanings—they can last a lifetime.
Why choose Dr. Cantwell for dental implants?
Boise, ID dentist Dr. Cantwell has advanced training and experience in dental implantology and continues to stay current with emerging trends. He is one of only two dentists in Idaho to graduate from the prestigious Pankey Institute for Advanced Restorative Dentistry. He completed the Misch Surgical Residency for Implants and Advanced Bone Grafting and is certified as a Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists.
How can I find out more about dental implants in Boise, ID?
Our experienced team would love to talk to you about dental implants or other tooth replacement options. Just give us a call to make an appointment!
Your comfort is important to us, and we’ll do everything we can to ensure a positive experience. Dr. Cantwell will take time to fully explain the procedure and answer any questions you may have. If you’re a little nervous about your procedure, let us know. We offer sedation options so you can relax and get the care you need.
Are missing teeth causing you discomfort, impacting your social life, or holding you back in social or business situations? Dental implants not only restore your smile and self-confidence, but they also improve your overall oral health. Call Atlantis Dental Care and schedule an evaluation with Dr. Dave Cantwell.