What are the advantages of dental implants?
There are numerous benefits to choosing dental implants over other to replace missing teeth in Boise, ID. Dental implants are unique because Dr. Cantwell places a small titanium post in your jaw, and when it heals in place, it acts just as the natural tooth root did. We then attach a dental restoration—crown, bridge, or denture—to the implant, which is the part of the implant you see when you smile.
Benefits of dental implants
- Dental implants are individual units. They aren’t attached to the teeth surrounding them. A dental bridge is anchored to the teeth on either side of the space, so if one part of a bridge fails, we must replace the entire unit.
- Dental implants floss and brush like a tooth. Bridges need to have floss threaded under them for cleaning. Failing to do this results in decay, which is the number one reason for bridge loss.
- Dental implants can last a lifetime. The average lifespan of a dental bridge is 7 to 10 years. An implant lasts much longer, possibly a lifetime with proper care.
- Dental implants help prevent bone loss. The moment you lose a tooth, the jawbone around the site starts deteriorating by about 8-10% a year. An implant placed in the site reduces that amount to almost zero, preserving a healthy, strong jaw
- Dental Implants are strong. They can support normal chewing loads, just like a natural tooth.
Learn more about implants
Dr. Cantwell would be happy to meet with you to explain dental implants in greater detail. Please contact our Boise, ID dental office to get started!